Welcome to The Tim Ferriss Present, the place it’s often my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out their routines, habits, et cetera you could apply to your individual life.
This time round, we’ve got a really particular version that includes Dr. Mark Plotkin and Brian C. Muraresku.
Mark takes over my duties as host and interviews Brian for an episode of the Plants of the Gods podcast. You, my pricey listeners, are listening to the audio earlier than anybody else, so it is a Tim Ferriss Present unique. I’ve beforehand featured a few of my favourite episodes from that podcast at tim.weblog/plantsofthegods. These episodes cowl a whole lot of fascinating floor.
So, who’s Dr. Mark Plotkin? Mark (@DocMarkPlotkin) is an ethnobotanist who serves as president of the Amazon Conservation Team, which has partnered with ~80 tribes to map and enhance administration and safety of ~100 million acres of ancestral rainforests. He’s greatest recognized to most of the people because the creator of the e-book Tales of a Shaman’s Apprentice, probably the most in style books ever written concerning the rainforest. His most up-to-date e-book is The Amazon: What Everyone Needs to Know. You’ll find my interview with Mark at tim.weblog/markplotkin.
And the visitor right this moment is Brian C. Muraresku. Who’s Brian? Brian (@BrianMuraresku) graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Brown College with a level in Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit. The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name is Brian’s debut e-book. In 2020, it turned a New York Instances bestseller, and Audible named it “Better of 2020” within the Historical past class. His web site is brianmuraresku.com. You can too discover him on Instagram @brian_muraresku.
It is a tightly packed 55-minute interview. Mark and Brian cowl the Eleusinian Mysteries, the pagan continuity speculation, early Christianity, classes from famed non secular scholar Karen Armstrong, ignored points of influential thinker William James’s profession, historical wine and historical beer, experiencing the divine inside us, the significance of “tikkun olam”—repairing and enhancing the world as we go—and far, rather more.
Please get pleasure from!
Dropped at you by GiveWell.org charity analysis and efficient giving and 5-Bullet Friday, my very personal e-mail publication.
The transcript of this episode might be discovered right here. Transcripts of all episodes might be discovered right here.
#646: Brian C. Muraresku with Dr. Mark Plotkin — The Eleusinian Mysteries, Discovering the Divine, The Immortality Key, The Pagan Continuity Speculation, Classes from Scholar Karen Armstrong, and A lot Extra
This episode is delivered to you by GiveWell.org ! For over ten years, GiveWell.org has helped donors discover the charities and initiatives that save and enhance lives most per greenback. GiveWell spends over 30,000 hours every year researching charitable organizations and solely recommends just a few of the highest-impact, evidence-backed charities they’ve discovered. In whole, greater than 100,000 individuals have used GiveWell to donate as successfully as potential.
This 12 months, help the charities that save and enhance lives most, with GiveWell. Any of my listeners who turn into new GiveWell donors could have their first donation matched up to $100 if you go to GiveWell.org and choose “PODCAST” and “Tim Ferriss” at checkout.
This episode is delivered to you by 5-Bullet Friday, my very personal e-mail publication that each Friday options 5 bullet factors highlighting cool issues I’ve discovered that week, together with apps, books, documentaries, devices, albums, articles, TV reveals, new hacks or methods, and—after all—all kinds of bizarre stuff I’ve dug up from world wide.
It’s free, it’s at all times going to be free, and you’ll subscribe now at tim.weblog/friday.
What was your favourite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Join with Brian Muraresku:
- Join with Dr. Mark Plotkin:
- The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name by Brian Muraresku | Amazon
- Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch | Amazon
- Mark’s Review of The Immortality Key | American Botanical Council
- Back to the Future | Prime Video
- The Eleusinian Mysteries: the Psychedelic Cult That Thrived For Nearly 2000 Years | Gizmodo
- Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley | Amazon
- The Odyssey by Homer | Amazon
- Eleusis: Mysterious Ancient Town Named European Culture Capital | Greece Is
- Kykeon: The Mysteries of An Ancient Psychoactive Drink | Truffle Report
- The Road to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries by R. Gordon Wasson, Albert Hofmann, and Carl A.P. Ruck | Amazon
- Was the Kukeon a Psychedelic Beer? | r/AskHistorians
- The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity Within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East by John M. Allegro | Amazon
- Rick Doblin — The Psychedelic Domino That Suggestions All Others | The Tim Ferriss Present #440
- How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence by Michael Pollan | Amazon
- This Is Your Mind on Plants by Michael Pollan | Amazon
- Michael Pollan — Exploring the Frontiers of Psychedelics | The Tim Ferriss Present #365
- Michael Pollan — This Is Your Thoughts on Vegetation | The Tim Ferriss Present #520
- Lophophora Williamsii (Mescal, Mescal Buttons, Peyote) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas) | Drug Science
- The Nitrous Oxide Philosopher | The Atlantic
- Peyote: The Sacred Cactus | Plants of the Gods
- Did the Romans Basically Steal All Their Ideas from Ancient Greece? | Quora
- Gnosticism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Dionysian Mysteries | Wikipedia
- Mark 4:11 KJV | Bible Gateway
- The Influence of the Mystery Religions on Christianity | The Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute
- Ayahuasca and Creativity by Benny Shanon | MAPS
- Harmala Alkaloid | PsychonautWiki
- Chemically-Induced Otherworldly Experiences of Zoroastrians in Iran | ESPD 55
- Dennis McKenna — The Depths of Ayahuasca: 500+ Classes, Fundamentals, Superior Subjects, Science, Church buildings, Learnings, Warnings, and Past | The Tim Ferriss Present #523
- Zoroastrianism | Wikipedia
- Alcohol in the Bible | Wikipedia
- The Death of Socrates – Wikipedia
- What Killed Socrates? Toxicological Considerations and Questions | Postgraduate Medical Journal
- Early Christians Might Have Been High on Hallucinogenic Communion Wine | Vice
- Hallucinogens, Healing, Culture, and Conservation | Plants of the Gods
- Detection of a Beer Brewed at Godin Tepe (Iran) 5,500 Years Ago | Beer Studies
- The Role of Cult and Feasting in the Emergence of Neolithic Communities: New Evidence from Göbekli Tepe, South-Eastern Turkey | Antiquity
- Which Came First, Beer or Bread? | Quora
- The First Wine & Beer: Chemical Detection of Ancient Fermented Beverages | Analytical Chemistry
- Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
- Mushroom Expert Exhumes the Stoned Ape Theory | Big Think
- How the Drunken Monkey Hypothesis Explains Our Taste for Liquor | The Atlantic
- The Value of Truth | Philosophy Talk
- Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archaeology
- What is Communion? Its Meaning and Symbolism Explained | Bible Study Tools
- This Hallucinogenic Fungus Might Be Behind the Salem Witch Trials | Discover Magazine
- Altered Minds: Mescaline’s Complicated History | Nature
- The World’s Largest Psychedelic Analysis Middle | The Tim Ferriss Present #385
- US Veterans with PTSD Turn to Psychedelic Drugs Overseas as VA Frustration Grows | Navy SEALs
- Roland Griffiths, PhD — Life’s Final Glide Path, An Sudden Stage IV Analysis, Going through Loss of life, How Meditation and Psychedelics Can Assist, and The Artwork of Dwelling a Lifetime of Gratitude | The Tim Ferriss Present #641
- The God Paradox: Brian Muraresku & Karen Armstrong | After Skool
- What Is a Zen Koan? History and Interpretation of Koans | Being Zen
- Zen Grasp Henry Shukman — 20 Minutes of Calm, Plus the Unusual and Highly effective World of Koans | The Tim Ferriss Present #560
- Henry Shukman — Zen, Instruments for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Intro to Koans, and Utilizing Wounds because the Doorway | The Tim Ferriss Present #531
- Roland Griffiths | Horizons New York 2022
- Self Unbound: Ego Dissolution in Psychedelic Experience | Neuroscience of Consciousness
- The Immortality Key: Psychedelics and the Ancient Age with Brian Muraresku & Prof. Carl Ruck | Jordan Peterson
- Lucy In The Sky With Nazis: Psychedelics and the Right Wing | Psymposia
- High Times Magazine
- Kambo: The Controversial Drug Derived from Stressed-Out Frogs | The Guardian
- Tikkun Olam: Repairing the World | My Jewish Learning
Editor’s be aware: timestamps will likely be added after the vacations!
- Who’s Brian C. Muraresku?
- The Eleusinian mysteries.
- The ridicule of Carl Ruck.
- Why are these concepts solely being accepted now?
- How the Eleusinian mysteries influenced Christianity.
- A mind-altering Eucharist?
- The position of beer and wine within the basis of civilization.
- Patrick McGovern.
- Stoned apes and/or drunk monkeys?
- What’s occurring at Harvard Divinity College right this moment?
- Karen Armstrong and the God paradox.
- Ethnobotanists discover mates in unusual locations.
- Doing good on the planet based mostly on the otherworldly.
- What’s the Amazon Conservation Workforce?
- Psychedelics at Harvard didn’t start with Leary and Alpert.
- Studying from previous errors and respecting the heritage of compounds from which we profit.
Associated and Beneficial
The Tim Ferriss Present is one of the most well-liked podcasts on the planet with greater than 900 million downloads. It has been chosen for “Better of Apple Podcasts” 3 times, it’s typically the #1 interview podcast throughout all of Apple Podcasts, and it has been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many events. To hearken to any of the previous episodes without cost, take a look at this web page.